Hubby: "I'll just give Owen some eggs for breakfast."
Me: "We shouldn't. We need to wait a few more months."
Hubby: "He's 10 months old and nobody has allergies. He'll be fine."
Me: "Yeah, you're right. Go ahead"
O
M
G
Within 10 minutes of eating them, his whole face was broken out in a rash and hives. His upper lip was swollen. I called the on-call nurse who said we had to watch for breathing problems, turning blue or a swollen throat, for the next 2 hours. I carried him around in my Ergo the entire time. He started lightening up, so we thought it was over.
A few hours later, he started getting red all over again. This time it was on his arms, tummy, legs and diaper area. He also felt really hot. So we called again, and they paged the on-call doc this time. Luckily, this was just a moderate reaction so he said to get some Benedryl and have his rest.
He took a 3 hour nap and was fine the rest of the day.
I, on the other hand (and daddy) felt awful. How could we have done this? We should have known better. The doc said he probably would have had the same reaction two months from now too, but still. I guess it was that "third child syndrome". You know....when you relax the general baby care rules because "it's your third child and the other ones turned out okay."
We learned our lesson this time. Little Owen will just have to wait to enjoy fritatas and Great Grandma's egg bake!
Christmas Around the World
7 years ago







Awe, poor mama! I know it won't make you feel any better but we got rid of all parenting rules with our second son. He had eggs early and we never waited a few days in between new foods. I'm glad he's doing okay!
ReplyDeletewow! how scary! i am glad he is okay now.
ReplyDeleteOh my... Glad he's ok! I've never experienced an allergic reaction first hand so I would've called the National Guard.
ReplyDelete