I'm not political. I don't know much about politics. I'm pretty reliant on the news and internet to get my political information.
But last night the health care reform bill passed. This means that 32 million people will have access to health care that wouldn't be accepted now. The reasons for them not having coverage could be that they can't afford it, they aren't offered it at work (and subsequently can't afford it), they don't meet requirements or they have a pre-existing condition.
So, here we are again....taxing the millions of working families to pay for a program for people who couldn't otherwise afford it. Just like Medicare, Medicaid, WIC etc. ANOTHER program that allows people to sit on their asses and do nothing to better their situation. I'm not talking about the people who use these programs as they're intended---as short-term solutions to a situation they can't otherwise control (such as unemployment, hours at work being cut, being ill or getting injured).
I'm referring to the people who just don't care. They don't care that they live off the government because they just don't "feel" like getting a job. They just don't "feel" like driving to work or "feel" like putting their kids in daycare. I've read every excuse "I can't find a job that pays enough to cover daycare" "We don't have any jobs around here" "I can't find work" "We don't have two cars"… blah blah blah. Our family works very hard to afford these types of things. We've worked two sometimes three jobs when necessary. And how do we get rewarded for that hard work? We get to pay more taxes to cover those programs that benefits people who do nothing.
I was unemployed for 12 months. 12 months we learned to budget around 40% less income. 40%!! Not to mention, I lost my job 2 weeks after having a baby, with all the new expenses surrounding that, we were still able to make ends meet. The problem is, even during this short-term period, we didn't qualify for ANY of the programs that we are both forced to pay taxes into. NONE OF THEM!! My husband still made "too much money" to get any assistance. So yes, I'm bitter when it comes to asking me, yet again, to pay more taxes on programs that I will never, ever most likely be able to use.
We live in a free country. A country that allows me to even be posting this and I'm very grateful for that. I think we live in the best country in the world. We are able to fight for our beliefs and elect officials who will hopefully represent those on a grander scale. However, when something as impactful as this is passed without any regard to the trickle down effect of these new taxes, I'm somewhat ashamed that this is what our country has come to. I do hope it works out. I hope the government finds a way to keep this program fair, legal, punish those who abuse it and keep it from going bankrupt (like they've done to the US Postal Service).
Christmas Around the World
7 years ago







0 comments:
Post a Comment