I think I have a unique group of friends. Each one serves it's own purpose and many of them have very specific purposes. I find myself acting one way with one and a different way with others. I love that they are very diverse and from all walks of life.
I have certain friends that keep me grounded. They help me realize that the world doesn't revolve around me. People are dying in tsunamis for goodness sake! Pretty sure the fact that the store didn't have a dress in my size isn't the end of the world.
I have other friends that I keep at an arm's distance. These are the ones who are good in a party atmosphere but not one on one. Some of them are kinda cold and very selfish. Those are the ones you just take as part of the "package" of being in a group of friends.
Then there's the "why me's". I like these kinds of friends because they remind me to be active. A great book I'm reading says "the amount of energy you spend on complaining could be spent changing your life" (or something like that). That's the kind of friend I am to these people. I don't indulge in their drama.
I have those friends that I get dressed up for. I know it sounds funny but it's true. I have a small group of friends that always look great. They are always dressed nice....always have the hair, jewelry and nails done. I find they inspire me to throw on some makeup and straighten my hair before seeing them. I like that.
And then there's my BFF. She's the all encompassing friend. I can dress up for her, or be unshowered for 4 days in my pajamas. I can be honest (sometimes brutally) and stick my foot in my mouth and she forgives me. I can go out to a bar with her, or sit at home and watch GREEK. We can not talk for a few days and then pick up right where we left off. I love her the most.
I think friends are a great representation of who we are as people. Each one shares something special with you (hopefully...otherwise you wouldn't be friends). Take inventory of those people and make sure you're happy to call them friends. If not, get rid of 'em!
Christmas Around the World
7 years ago







Well said! I could not agree more!
ReplyDeleteThis is a really great post! I've been dealing with this a lot lately. I'm really trying to focus on the real and good friends and get rid of the drama ones all together. =)
ReplyDelete