Thursday, September 30, 2010

When did rude become the norm?

*don't forget to enter my giveaway here*

I try not to use this blog to vent....ok, that's not completely true. But, this has really been burning me up for the last few weeks. So I'm venting.

My readers (all 2 or 3 of you!) know that I kinda have road rage. I took a vacation from driving during my maternity leave which made my blood pressure return to normal. Well, I'm back to work and back to enduring the 30 mile blood pumping, stress inducing drive that is my commute. To make matters worse, the ENTIRE 30 miles is under serious construction.

The complete lack of politeness on the road is mind boggling. I have seen cars get cut off so close that I thought for sure I was headed into a 10 car pile up. Since when did it become okay to cut people off just because you didn't plan ahead before that line of cars started merging? And to not even use your turn signal? Screw you. Chances are, you drive this stretch every morning like the rest of us and guess what? The on ramps DIDN'T MOVE SINCE LAST TIME! The people on Breezewood Ave still merge in a long line of cars every morning like usual so plan ahead, you morons.

And the rudeness doesn't stop on the road. I watched while a lady at my work let the door fly closed on someone who was carrying in food for a fundraiser this morning. Seriously? You can't spare 5 seconds of, what I'm assuming is a relatively boring, life to hold the door for someone. You suck too lady.

And why am I always surprised when someone IS polite. Like it's some kind of anomaly in our society. Holy crap! She said thank you! Um....yeah....that's what were SUPPOSED to do! I was so thankful when a man actually helped me carry a large box to my car. Just some guy--not an employee of the store or anything. He just offered out of the blue and it was awesome. Random acts of kindness...maybe. Common decency...for sure.

It should be commonplace to be polite, not something that we get surprised by. I guess the best we can do is be polite ourselves, call out those who aren't and raise our children to be extra polite.

And punching some of those rude people in the face might help too.

5 comments:

  1. ahh I drove down to Oshkosh on Monday night and was almost in a really bad accident because of this exact issue! It drives me CRAZY!!!!! Hopefully you won't have to drive there much longer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I hear you! Really, is it that hard to give a little to others? And road construction? Don't get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know...it definitely seems like there are more rude people than nice/polite people.

    yesterday, a very pregnant lady dropped a package of buns at the grocery store...so i picked them up for her and she didnt say anything!!....then my very loud 4 year old, goes mommy when didnt she say thank you....i replied, well maddie, its only nice to use your manners, so you remember that. i had no idea what more i could say at the moment in front of the rude lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously. I feel very sorry for the woman who was trying to recreate some scene from "The Fast and the Furious" with me yesterday - because I was in a MOOD and her brazen disregard for basic rules of the road got on my very last nerve. I decided to sidle up next to a semi and then go 55 in a 70. She flicked me off. I smiled and waved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE THAT! I'm the same way! I wanted to buy one of those scrolling signs for my back window where I could type messages from my steering wheel to people behind me. That would be A.W.E.S.O.M.E!

    ReplyDelete