Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Motherhood is forever

I know Mother's Day is this weekend and I'm sure they'll be a bevy of "Motherhood is wonderful." "I don't know where I'd be without my kids".

BLAH BLAH BLAH. It's all crap.

Motherhood is freaking hard. It's poop, pee, throw-up, tantrums, heartbreak, worrying, frustration, judgment, sleepless nights, thanklessness, tiring, infuriating and plenty more adjectives that my thesaurus would be tired listing.
So, why do we do it?

Is it because we don't know what to expect? Maybe. I had no idea how tired I would be with a newborn interrupting my sleep every 2 hours. I've been tired before...but never THAT tired. I didn't know that they literally have to be changed 12 times a day. I didn't think that when they could crawl and walk, I would have to rearrange my entire house and put away keepsakes that I love to look at.

Who knew the first word would be "NO!" and they would use it to battle with me on every possible situation throughout the day? How am I losing this argument to an 18 month old?? And why do I feel so bad about myself??
And when they are 4--wholly cow. Get ready---the sassiness comes out like nobody's business. They start manipulating the situation and, although they don't mean, it breaks your heart when they say they like Daddy better than you or they aren't your friend. Really? I'm tearing up because my 4-year old isn't going to invite me to her birthday party? (Yes, that's the ultimate insult in our house).

So, why DO we do it?

Because we know it is our responsibility to maintain the human race. To raise children to be honest, empathetic and caring people that will have an impact on the world. Whether that impact is simply smiling at someone while bagging their groceries, or curing cancer. Because we know there is no greater responsibility on the planet than raising "good" kids.
Because we are inspired by our mothers---they've walked this path before and can offer advice, although sometimes outdated, that will pull us through the hardest times in our lives. When we can't figure out why our newborn isn't sleeping ("We always put our babies on their tummy and you turned out fine!") to why our 17 year old is dating the bad-boy in school and doesn't come home at curfew (yeah-our moms are just laughing about this one!).

Because we've had a calling since we were little to become a mother. All we've ever wanted to do was raise children---this is our life's calling and we will do the absolute best we can. WU are inspiring other women to become moms.
Because, it just sort of happened.

No matter what the reason, becoming a mother is one of the hardest jobs in the world.

One of the only jobs that offers no wage, no benefits, no retirement plan, no dental policy and NO VACATION DAYS!

Why in the world would someone EVER want to work for free?

Where are the rewards?
The first time your newborn smiles at you. Just you. That tiny twinkle is his/her eye is JUST FOR YOU.

The first time your baby figures out how to put that square shape in the square hole. His feeling of accomplishment and the smile on his face is burned into your brain forever.

The first time your toddler puts a basketball into a hoop and the family erupts in cheers. The elation he's feeling has a way of transcending into your body.

The first time your pre-schooler completes that impossible puzzle, ties those impossible shoes or writes that letter they just haven't been able to master.

Your schoolager comes home with his first invite to a birthday party from a new friend. She’s learning about friendships and meeting new people. Being open to kids from different cultures and backgrounds.
Your middleschooler passes her first big test. All the hard work finally paid off. Work ethic is burying its' roots.

Your junior highschooler didn't get asked to the dance by her favorite boy at school......and just brushed it off as his loss. Her self worth is more than what a boy thinks of her. Mission accomplished.

Your highschooler got into the college/art school/company they wanted. And then they realized how hard the real world is and decided it's better to live in your basement and "take some time off" to figure things out. You are secretly happy because you weren't ready to let go of them juuuuusssttt yet.

Your child gets married to the love of their life. You and your significant other know it's finally time to let go and feel sad that he/she doesn't "need" you anymore.....but you're so proud of the person they've become.

And finally....your daughter or son celebrates you on Mother's Day. Thanking you for spending the time practicing that puzzle and studying for that test. Thanks YOU for helping to create the wonderful person they've become. Telling you that YOU'VE inspired them to be the best parent they can be.
And the circle is complete.

What happened to all that poop, throw-up, frustration and thanklessness??

I don't even remember it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes motherhood is forever.... and most days I am so glad it is!!

    ReplyDelete