Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dear Owen

I love you. I love your pudgy cheeks, your tiny toes, your little smiles.


I love your coos and giggles. I love your serious face when you're really concentrating on something. I love the look of wonderment on your face when someone new comes over or you hear a new sound.

I love the way you hold up your head and move your feet, knowing there's so much more to life than sitting still--wanting to crawl NOW and working those little muscles for all those future movements.

I do love you....lots and lots and lots.

BUT

I DON'T love this sleep pattern. I know you think it's AWESOME to get up and want to play at 2:30 in the morning, but I do not. Mommy needs her sleep. She has very, very, very important things to do at work and I can't do that when I'm laying in a pool of my own drool because I've fallen asleep, narcoleptic style, on my desk.

Clearly, you did not get my love of sleep in your DNA. I could sleep all day, every day. I can sleep through a movie (yep, done that). I can sleep through a hurricane (did that too). I can sleep through a stand-up comedian (he was SUPER un-funny). I can sleep almost anywhere (except an airplane).

I see that you would prefer to be awake.

I've nursed you, rocked you, swayed with you, carried you, put you in the Ergo, let you cry, bounced you, cuddled with you, bottle fed you, sang to you, let you watch tv and put music in your crib.

Next step--cough syrup, alcohol then maybe anestesia.

Whoever coined the phrase "sleep like a baby" never ACTUALLY HAD A BABY.

But I still love you.....lots and lots and lots.

1 comment: