Thursday, December 23, 2010

Sometimes I just need to take my own advice

The title of my blog (Just Rolling With It) encompasses my attitude towards life. The serenity prayer "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference" is my own personal mantra.

I try not to get caught up in the "shoulds" "woulds" and "coulds" of parenting. I appreciate different points of few and different parenting styles. I try not to compare my kids with other kids. I try to understand that the "milestones" are just general guidelines and not all kids will hit them at the otherwise "appropriate" times.

I try to give my mom friends a relaxed view on parenting. I tell them not to get caught up in it all. Babies and kids will do things as they want. As long as they are happy, healthy and progressing, there's no reason to stress.

So, why can't I take MY OWN advice?

I'm so stressed out about Owen not sleeping through the night, that it's got me going crazy. I've been researching reverse cycling, exclusively pumping/bottle feeding, over feeding, under feeding, adding more solids, taking solids away etc.

Information overload.

My other kids were sleeping through the night (8pm - 6am) by 13 and 16 weeks. No problems. Owen is the only one who's been nursed this long so that's the only thing I can think of that's causing this. Some days, I want to quit just to get sleep. But what if that doesn't help? Then I'm not nursing (which I love) and STILL not sleeping. That doesn't make sense.

AH!

I'm just crazy over tired and really feel helpless. I'd like to apologize to all those mamas who I accused of overreacting when their babies weren't sleeping through the night by 6, 9 or 12 months. I feel you now.

Dear Santa: I want sleep. Consistently. For the next 18 or so years. Thanks, Sarah

2 comments:

  1. HUGS Sarah, not getting sleep is really hard. Even harder if you have to go to work in the morning and still do the everyday stuff I'm sure. I guess what I try to remind myself is go to bed a bit earlier and this too shall pass. Really it will!! I'm always here to vent if you need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as a mom of TWO boys who never slept, I totally understand! Stay strong and awesome!

    ReplyDelete